The main difference between climbing roses is that they resemble lianas. There is a huge number of varieties of roses, differing in hues, shape, number of blossoms throughout the season. Often these plants are used for vertical gardening. The garden queen not only closes a part of the building, but also makes the site uniquely exquisite. Today's article is devoted to the description of roses Santana - one of the most beautiful varieties of the category "climbing."
Variety Santana belongs to the category of climbing roses. The plant is re-flowering, with rich red flowers up to 10 cm in size. Here are the main characteristics of the flower:
- the surface is velvety, bright red color;
- bloom long and abundant, the branches are completely covered with buds;
- flowers are not single, and are collected in a brush from 3 to 7 pieces. The bush is covered with flowers evenly, so the plant looks unusually harmonious;
- variety resistant to rain and weather. Washed with rain, roses Santana become even brighter and more luxurious;
- bush grows to three meters in height. The branches are quite elastic, they do not need additional support;
- roses are cold-resistant, but more suitable for breeding in regions with a mild climate;
- Santana is little susceptible to disease;
- the aroma of flowers is light, but very pleasant.
The plant looks great if there is a contrasting background: a light fence or a wall of the house (as in the photo).
Important! The leaves of Santana are thick, shiny, resistant to diseases and unattractive for pests. Therefore, the plant looks great and without flowers.
Shoots have many branches, even in the lower part of the bush, so the plant looks very aesthetic.
One of the most important stages of growing climbing roses, is the right choice of place to plant. Rose - light-loving plant. It is necessary that the site was well blown, but without drafts. The best option is the south side. If you choose the right place for planting roses, then it is likely that they will bloom next year. It is not necessary that the area for landing was large. Quite enough of the square of the earth 50 x 50 cm. The hole under the landing must be prepared in advance. Before planting, you need to pour a bucket of humus into it and pour it abundantly.Important! The secret of good development and flowering of roses - in the careful selection of seedlings.
It is necessary to select plants with two or three matured stems of a woody structure, with intact bark and a good root system.
The landing period is from mid-September to mid-October or from mid-April to mid-May. Planting depth is about 30 cm. When planting in autumn, the depth should be increased by 2-3 cm. When planting in autumn, seedlings roll up by 20 cm. The same principle of winter closing of roses is necessary for them to successfully winter.Important! Before planting seedlings need to prepare. The plant should be soaked in water the day before planting.
Be sure to remove the leaves, as well as young and damaged shoots. Saplings need to be disinfected using a three-percent solution of copper sulfate.
Immediately after planting, you need to trim the upper part of the bush, leaving only 20 cm. This is necessary for more intensive development of the plant. Rosa Santana requires careful care for the first year, then it will be possible to pay minimum attention. The essence of care is as follows:
- the primary pruning of the bush is done to form the plant, direct it to growth, and also to avoid excessive thickening;
- water the roses in the garden once a week. If the summer is rainy, then it is permissible to water less frequently;
- for fertilizer there is a certain algorithm. Humus, covered in the wells during planting, "work" another two years. At the same time, mineral and organic fertilizers are necessary for roses. For making a top dressing, special mixtures for flowering crops are well suited. At rest, the rose does not require any additional care, and in the course of the growing season, it will take about 5 fertilizers.
This is one of the most important moments in the care of climbing roses - in general and for Santana - in particular.Important! If you neglect pruning, the plant will develop worse, reduced immunity to disease. Flowering will be more scarce.
In addition, pruning is necessary to make the plant look more beautiful.
If you do not cut the rose, then in the end, the bush will turn into shapeless thickets. That is why you need to immediately get rid of asymmetric and uneven branches. It is necessary to get rid of young shoots, so that there is no excessive thickening. You need to leave shoots formed last year, on which the inflorescences are tied. For roses Santana, as for the re-flowering variety, the formation of a branch with flowers takes 3 years. After that, it fades. Therefore, the main shoots are removed after 3 years on the 4th. You need to leave a couple of 1-year-old shoots and no more than seven flowering. Trimming is done before winter. This time the branches are removed with the maximum length.
Diseases and pests
- Bacterial cancer - manifested by bumps and growths on the roots. Over time, the plant dies. Infected areas must be removed. Roots with no visible signs of illness should be treated with blue vitriol.
- Mealy dew - a raid of white color on leaves and stalks. The plant is poorly developed, flowering is scarce. The affected plants must be removed and burned. In the spring, before blooming buds, you need to spray the plant with copper sulphate.
- Black spot - the appearance of black spots on the shoots and leaves. All affected leaves must be removed and burned. Good prevention is fertilizing with phosphate and potash fertilizers.
Varvara, 48 years old, Samara. To decorate the fence, planted a variety of roses Santana. I admit there were a lot of doubts. I read a lot of horror stories on the forums that the climbing rose is a completely unpredictable plant, rushing to growth, and not to flowers. I didn’t notice anything like that, because I planted and cut according to all the rules. The picture is exactly as on the advertising label: tall bushes completely covered with buds. I already received this beauty in the second year. The color is bright red, not closer to scarlet, but to blood ruby. For the winter, the long shoots cut off. Tatiana, 55 years old, Oryol. The Santana variety is my favorite of climbing. It is surprising that with minimal care (watering, 4 dressing during the growing season, forming pruning) such beauty is obtained. With pruning at first there were difficulties, I could not figure out which shoots to remove, and which shoots to leave. She reasoned like an amateur: "All living things are pitiful to cut off." A neighbor helped to figure out what's what. Now everything is clear. A carpet of flowers turned out to be a success. Maya, 40, Kursk There is a negative experience with climbing roses. About 5 years ago, she planted a random variety near the country house, and she did not wait for flowers. A colleague who shared seedlings, said that the bush is gaining weight. All right, the leaves of the car - and the flowers - at least a little. Two years ago, I dug up this monster, planted Santana, now I don’t know grief. The flowers are bright, in appearance resemble a noble old velvet. The only drawback is that the rose has a faint odor. After the “Englishwomen” it is even unusual somehow. The winter winters fine, there is no problem of freezing at all. Now she is busy picking a variety of “buggings” that will be combined with Santana. I want to make a contrasting decor.